The Cut'n'Mix Postmodern Word Processor
Cut'n'Mix is a unique word processing application which helps creative writers generate new ideas through the use of different methods of text randomization and manipulation. Cut'n'Mix expands the writer's canvas into the realms of nonsense and unintelligibility. Words can be revolutionary mental objects or dull fragments of a dismal preprogrammed existence. (Take your pick.) This site will introduce you to how-tos beyond the regular schoolbook thinking, and it all begins with the postmodern word processor known as Cut'n'Mix.:
- Quickly rearrange the positions of words in text using a simulated paper-and-scissors cut-up interface called the "Cut-up Laboratory". (Also commonly referred to as "Fridge Magnet Poetry")
- Generate pools of random words from Cut'n'Mix's embedded English dictionary database to inspire creativity
- Blend (mashup) words or phrases from up to 4 different text files or "tracks"
- Generate random poetry using the "ROBOPOEM" algorithm which automatically calculates rhythm and rhyme
- Create new words and names using "word shredding" and "word gluing"
- Create automatic poetry or song lyrics
- Find new music group or company names
- Use words creatively in the tradition of William Shakespeare
- Brew your own Finnegan's Wake
News for Spring 2014:
In February 2012, Version 5.4 was to be the final release of Cut'n'Mix available for shareware licensing. Later that year Cut'n'Mix ceased to be a commercial "product" with associated bug fixes and technical support... Now, in response to numerous requests, an "as-is" (unsupported), full-function version of Cut'n'Mix will be made available (for a small download fee) from the DIGIMATICA media file download library:
(Previous licensees can get a free download credit if they need a new copy of the installer: email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.)